Tuesday, September 18, 2007

BILL BELICHICK'S STATUS IN THE NFL


It was an easy call to pick the Patriots in a rout over the Chargers this last Monday night. When you have a team the caliber of the Patriots, and give them the motivation to prove they can win without a cheating edge, you've got a rout on your hands. Like I said, it was an easy call.


However, what isn't so easy is to know why their coach, the almost legendary Bill Belichick, resorts to breaking league rules to get a competitive edge. The only way to explain it is to figure that Belichick’s values allows for that kind of behavior.


So, in my opinion, Bill Belichick has lost some luster in his coaching status in the NFL. Oh, I agree he is one of the top coaches in the league. I agree he normally has his team focused. The Patriots don’t have many “off” performances. That’s a tribute to Belichick and his staff.


However, if his present values allow a flagrant violation of the rules in preparing for games, then he is not the person I would choose as a role model for coaching. I would wonder how those values might affect his decision in playing hurt players, or in teaching his athletes cheating techniques. I don’t know that he has done that. But, based on what he did in videoing, I don’t know he hasn’t done it.


Can my opinion of him change for the better? You bet it can. That’s the wonderful thing about God’s dealing with us. God will often maneuver circumstances to bring a person to the point of turning their lives over to Him. Hopefully, this might be one of those “maneuvers.”

No comments: