Tuesday, July 10, 2007

IS BARRY BOND LEGIT?


With Barry Bonds closing in on the all time home run record held by Hank Aaron, I thought it might be interesting to look at some of the greatest sports records of all time in a short series.

I'll write more about Bond's achievement when he actually breaks the record. However, for now, lets take a quick look at what Hammering Hank Aaron accomplished to better appreciate what Bonds is now doing. In a world hostile to Aaron for closing in on the immortal Babe Ruth's all-time record, he endured the boos and death threats to smash Ruth's record of 714 home runs, and end up with 755.

Aaron is the only player in major league baseball history to put together more than 700 homers, 3,000 hits (3,771) and 2,000 RBIs (2,297) in a career.

Each of those achievements is incredible in itself. But, to do them all, what a remarkable ball player Aaron was. And, arguably, the home run is the most difficult of all sports accomplishments, requiring precise timing, blazing bat speed, power, and keen eyesight, all while an opponent is trying to make the tiny ball jump around as its hurtling toward the hitter at 90 plus miles per hour from a distance of only sixty feet away.

So, whether you like Barry Bonds as a man, applaud what he's doing as an athlete. To break such an incredible record takes an incredible athlete. Now, I'm not in favor of anyone who uses steroids. And, I'm not a fan of people who treat others with contempt. Yet, I'm trying to set aside my personal feelings about Barry Bonds, and look at what he is doing as an athlete with unusual physical skills and mental discipline.

In a hostile world, amidst the boos and death threats, he is about to break the record of an athlete who was also a "hated" man at the time of his pursuit. Aaron knows well the pressure Bonds is now facing. Interestingly, Bonds is also closing in on the 3000 hits for a career, and the 2000 RBIs in a career.

All the marks of a great player.

To break a record held by Aaron, one of the greatest players of all time, it takes and extraordinary ball player.

So, whether you like him, or not, give Bonds his due.

3 comments:

Wes Neal said...

The following comment is from tennis coach, Ken Hydinger, and was sent to me via e-mail. He gave me permission to put it into a blog following my comments on Bonds:

"Thanks for continuing to send your emails. They are manna. I must give you some differing thoughts regarding Bonds.

Second Timothy 2:5 "if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victors crown unless he plays by the rules."

I don't think he has achieved anything. He is like a tennis player who wins by calling in balls out. He has manipulated a situation but not really overcome an opponent, and I think he has acted counter to what the Bible requires of athletes.

Hammering Hank may have hit 1000 if he had juiced. I feel the only due I can give Bonds is that he has cheapened the sport and raised the bar(from pine tar and corked bats to drugs) of how to cheat in hitting.

What would Williams, Killebrew, Robinson, Mantle or MAYS, homer total been if they had juiced? I really don't think Bonds is the incredible athlete you mention. He is part player and part science.

Look forward to your thoughts."

Ken Hydinger

Wes Neal said...

I like your logic, and would have to agree with you on most of your points. The only one that you and I might have a difference on is the quality of athlete Bonds is. Most of his home runs came before he went on the juice (as far as we know). Mainly going by pictures of him during his years. Most athletes don't become larger and more muscular later in their careers as Barry has done. So, if we can trust the pictorial history, we can see a definite growth later in his career, a pretty good indicator of steroids.

Here's where I think the steroids have given him an unethical edge on the record. It's in the stamina of his career. Without them, he most likely would already have been retired. He already had the speed of bat, keen eye, and power. A home run going 335 feet is just as good on the scoreboard as one going 425 feet.

So, I would have to agree with you on the record breaking part. He most likely would not have broken the record. It's sad to this degree. I still think he has been an incredibly good ball player, with great skills. Many Hall of Famers haven't set records. Had he not taken the steroids, I think he would have had Hall of Fame worthy statistics over his career, even if we remove both of the home run records.

In his case, I think the records have hurt his image as a worthy contender for the Hall of Fame, instead of helped. He'll probably get in, but, his image has been tarnished. Just like Mark McGuire. As a rookie, he hit 49 home runs without the aid of steroids. The steroids most likely prolonged his injury plagued career, but they hurt his image as a worthy Hall of Famer. Too bad, because he had the talent before he took the steroids.

Anyway, I thought your comments on Bonds were well thought out, and I'd like to run them.

Wes Neal said...

[NOTE: The following is an e-mail I received from tennis coach Ken Hydinger in response to my last comment...Wes]

Hi Wes,

I agree with you. Bonds has been a great athlete. Your longevity assessment is accurate. Long ago when I lived in a van, ate beans for dinner, strung racquets in parking lots and laundry marts in order to afford to play tournaments, I idolized people that could play well. That was my goal, that was what I was committed to and that was what I spent all my waking hours aspiring to.

After playing for a while I lost to many players and some were excellent but I realized that the reason that some were so good at that point in time was that they were blessed with better ability and had been afforded better opportunities to learn and play the game. I realized they did not want it more than me, that they did not work as hard as I did, and did not, could not and would not make the sacrifices I would.

From then on I did not respect these players just for their extraordinary abilities. they were just fortunate. I looked inside a guy to see what he did in order to give my respect and admiration.

Please run my thoughts if you wish but realize that a guy that lived in a van and ate beans for dinner may not be all there!

Ken